Friday, January 20, 2017

On the Road Again...

Left Chicago via the Chicago Skyway (aka I-90) at 9:20 this morning.
This part of Indiana is uninspiring....although every time (Every. Single. Time.) I go across that bridge I feel compelled to sing, “Gary, Indiana"..from The Music Man.....so now it's in my head until something better occurs to me....

There is only one service station (Oasis, for those of you from the Midwest) on the Indiana turnpike. One. There are actually a lot of others, here in our new Vice-President’s state, but they are all closed. So, if you need to use the restroom while in Indiana, you'll need to wait until you get to Ohio. (Where the state of the highway is vastly better than Indiana, btw) We have been wondering what happens/who pays for interstate highways, such as these turnpikes. I’m assuming that the federal government gives the states money to pay for part and then the state does the work. If that is the case, then Mr. Pence has been using his state’s portion to do something other than pay for the roadwork. The potholes in the Indy Turnpike are the worst ever – even worse than the ones in Chicago!

While driving through western Ohio, we saw the exit for Gibsonberg, Ohio. Guess I've been exposed to bluegrass long enough that I started singing Gibsonberg....."Let me guess your birthday, just give me a couple dollars if I’m right.....if I keep on guessing I might get to Gibsonberg tonight." So “Gary, Indiana”  has been replaced by “Gibsonberg.” I guess it's a good think we aren't going through Allentown, PA, or I'd be crooning along with The Boss....



And we are now watching college wrestling in our motel room in Erie, PA. Tomorrow morning we’ll take off early and see how far we get. If we can’t go the whole way to Scarborough, ME, we’ll stop in Albany and finish with a short, 5-hour day on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment