Saturday, July 24, 2010

Still in Comox

The strong winds in the Straits of Georgia continue, so we are still at the dock in Comox. Comox gets a lot of the fishing fleet from Queen Charlotte Sound, and we're docked next to a few.


Since we took their picture, we felt obligated to purchase a ling cod from one of them...for only $40 I have 10 pounds of ling cod in my freezer, not to mention a HUGE head and tail - yay, good crab bait! While the crab bit on my prawn heads up in Clayden Bay, we haven't caught a single prawn since then, so I'm out of bait (I used up the salmon parts that Mary flirted for). So on our way south we'll be mining the Gulf and San Juan Islands for more crab.

We had a wonderful dinner last night at the Blackfin Pub...a perfectly fine reason to come to Comox any time. They have a lemon cake that is fantastic. I tried to replicate it for Becky's birthday a couple of years ago unsuccessfully, so I asked if the chef shared the recipe. He told me to email him, so I'm going to give it a try. His veal schnitzel was great, too......

We'll head out for Nanaimo tomorrow. We asked the fishermen this morning about the route to take and the winds - they have the local knowledge that makes boating so much easier. They told us to stay put today but that tomorrow it'd be okay, even in the 15-knot winds. We're going to take their word for it.

"I'm French kissing life square on the mouth, sailing out on the sea"
-Kenny Chesney

2 comments:

  1. I certainly hope you are listening to plenty of Kenny Chesney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. July 27-Let us know when you get to Nanaimo! Or, beyond. We are having amazing weather down here. We might even get out this weekend to Coupeville for an overnight on the boat! Take care and all that following sea stuff-Virginia

    ReplyDelete