Wednesday, September 23, 2009

September 23

We spent the day in downtown Portland. It’s really a charming town. All the downtown streets are cobbled, and the town is chock full of art galleries. Most buildings are brick – not what we’re used to in western Washington. People here are much friendlier than we’re used to seeing in the East….certainly friendlier than they were in Maryland, where Ross and Zakia used to live. You can leave the house and car unlocked without fear of being ripped off.

We had lunch today at The Lobster Shack – a local favorite. It sits right on the ocean in the town of Cape Elizabeth. The site was lovely - a lighthouse right there, and container ships passing by. Only one pleasure boat that I saw (not a Bayliner, surprisingly). I had my first lobster roll (must be an East Coast delicacy, since we see them advertised in every restaurant and take-out joint). Hmmmm. A toasted hot dog bun with a dollop of mayo, one sour pickle slice and several hunks of lobster. Well, I suppose I’m missing something. I don’t see the thrill. Give me the lobster with some melted butter and/or cocktail sauce and I’d be happier. Hot dog buns are hot dog buns, no matter what you call them.

Last night Zakia made an amazing Indian dinner…..watch out, Oak Harbor friends – you’ll be eating this meal when I come home! It was fabulous. Ross gave me a birthday present when we arrived – a gift certificate to Rabelais, a bookstore dedicated to books on food, wine and entertaining. I found two cookbooks that I’m pretty sure I’ll use. I was tempted to buy the book that I gave Ross for his birthday (The Bread Baker’s Apprentice), but I decided that one bread baker per family is probably enough…..Ross’ bread is terrific. (We are pretty much a family of foodies – Trina is wonderful at seafood and appetizers of all kinds, Becky is the cookie queen, and Ross is the bread man…..I figure that leaves me with my choice of all the rest!)

3 comments:

  1. When you said lobster roll, I was imagining a sushi style of roll which gets me thinking about dinner tonight... There's a new fish monger in Issq. Nix the bun, tho - blech.

    How is the lobster?? Is it so much better than here? I am just not a huge fan, but I haven't had it on the east coast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not an east coast delicacy, but a Maine one for sure. Lobster rolls are new to me as well. People go nuts for 'em but I'm not a huge fan either. They're made the same way everywhere here - exactly as you described. A little dry, not enough food despite being a $16 sandwich, and the hot dog bun is, well, a hot dog bun. Pass. But I love me some lobster, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, you're still the bread baker in this family, mom.

    ReplyDelete