Wednesday, September 9, 2009

September 9

The dawn broke at 5:54 am, while we were entering Ellensburg. It was absolutely gorgeous, and I attempted to take a picture of it. Unfortunately, it is dark at 5:54am, and I couldn't make the darn camera stop flashing. Clearly, a short tutorial on the workings of our new camera are in order.

Today's travels took us the 690 miles from Bellevue to Bozeman, Montana. This is probably the prettiest part of our trip - at least until we get to the Northeast and/or Montreal. We went through the Cascades (of course, it was dark at that time of day), then the Palouse, beautiful Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and then the mountains of western Montana.

When I was a little girl I was a terrible tomboy (I'm not sure why it's "terrible"), and at the age of about 9 I was convinced that Montana would be the most wonderful place in the world to live. After all, they have real cowboys, Indians and horses! I wanted to be Roy Rogers, not Dale Evans! I still like western Montana - I can just picture the indian tribe, in their war paint on the war ponies, lined up on all these hills.......

Tomorrow we leave these beautiful hills and enter the prairies of South Dakota. We'll go another 736 miles to Mitchell, SD. And, no, I'm not going to visit the corn palace!

Here's a pictures from today's drive:


It's a long long road ahead!
iv>

Just outside of Missoula, Montana. Really rugged country.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading these blog entries! keep it up! I agree about Montana, and Wyoming too - some of the most beautiful places on earth, i have to believe. Hey, how about a stop at the famous Wall Drug in Wall, SD? those 500 signs along the freeway can't all be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw Ellensburg at dawn once - wait, I was coming home from the Tav (Mom, don't read this... :) ) just kidding. Sounds awesome. Thanks for the updates. I'm going to read it everyday.

    ReplyDelete