Thursday, August 25, 2011

Farmer's Market


The heat has broken - at least for the next few days. Low 80's, pleasant breeze and little humidity. Nice. Especially for a trip to the farmer's market in Daley Plaza downtown Chicago.
We walked up to the train station from Becky's - passing someone's home: Felt like I was down on 1st Avenue South in Seattle. Every city's the same, I guess. This was clearly the "wrong" side of the street. Across the street, the denizens were really set up with fancy sleeping bags WITH blankets and coolers. Obviously the classier side of the underpass.

The farmer's market was great. I have never seen so many different kinds of tomatoes in one place. I was kind of hoping for different types of lettuces and greens, but I didn't find a single head of lettuce. ?? We ate crepes for lunch, made at a little cart on the street by two cute French guys. The market is in Daley Plaza, named for the mayor of Chicago - which Mayor Daley, I cannot tell you. There have been several. Central to the plaza is this enormous Picasso sculpture. Here's another view: I love this sculpture!

Downtown Chicago can be an exciting place. The architecture is amazing, and there are great pictures at every opportunity.....this is our view from the marble bench we sat on at the market:
There is an architectural tour of Chicago that I'd like to go on. (Stacy told me about it.)Actually, I guess there are several. The one I want to go on is a boat ride (imagine that) down the Chicago River. I imagine that one doesn't think overmuch about what is actually IN the river as we ride along.....

No comments:

Post a Comment