Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday, August 27 (I think)


Little kids are funny. I love little kids. Becky and I were standing around, just talking, and Naomi announced that she was "STARVING, Mom." Becky said, "Well, I can offer you some appetizers. How about a few crackers and some lovely Wisconsin cheddar?" Naomi thought about it, and decided that she definitely "loves appyciders!" Me, too, Mimi!

Today, after a morning filled with shopping for back to school clothes and groceries, and lunch out at Goose Island Brewery (I discovered I like Belgian ale), we decided to take a walk to the Hallmark store, about a mile away. Miles rode his bike and we put Naomi in the stroller. (Bob has decamped to a buddy's house in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, for the weekend) Miles is just getting the hang of riding his bike without the training wheels, so there was a lot of starts and stops. (You have to stop at every alley, after all, not to mention the streets.) About halfway there, he figured the whole thing out - how to put your leg down and lean to stop without falling over and how, if you pedal really really fast, it's easier to stay up.....on the way home he'd ride 'way in front of us, all the way down the block, pedaling like crazy. Then, he'd stop at the corner, lean his bike on the closest mailbox, and run like heck back to us to get a hug and a high-five. He actually ran the entire mile home that way. He decided he was kind of tired when we got home.

On the other coast, Zakia and Philip had a "mother-son" day in Boston before school starts. (They'll be home before Hurricane Irene hits tomorrow.) Here's a picture of Philip making lightning at the Museum of Science in Boston.
Gosh, he's cute! Look out, Kindergarten, Philip Nelson's on his way!

And after reading my latest email from Mary, I'm missing Oak Harbor. When we get home, I plan to sit in my living room and just watch the water ALL DAY LONG. Okay, maybe I'll have a cup of coffee or knit or something, but that's gonna be my activity for a while. Of course, I have offered Mary a special dessert in exchange for some of the late-season crab she caught yesterday......

No comments:

Post a Comment