Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday, August 19

A first for me - I went to the Off Track Betting parlor today with my sister. My nephew, Patrick, had a horse running in the third race at Monmouth, in New Jersey. So Ellen and I each put $3 across the board (I learned that term today- it means $3 to win, place, or show) and $5 to win on Annie Way You Can. She started out in first place, then went to second place, and kind of ran out of steam just before the finish line. So she came in fourth. Actually, that isn't bad. The 4th place horse wins something, too. (I didn't know that.) Actually, other than the first 10 seconds of the race, the best part was before the race began, when they paraded the horses out and the announcer said, "Owned by Pat Lavin" - always fun to hear your family's name, eh? This was the horse's first race, so she did pretty well. Anyway, a fun thing to do for the first time ever. :)

After the race, Ellen and I went to lunch at Portillo's, which is a popular hot dog place. Hot dogs are very big in Chicago. I'm not sure why - it's just a hot dog, after all. I'm not really a hot dog fan, but it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment